Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Second Generation of Cabala and Bates


Way back in 1977, I attended St. Hyacinth Parochial School in Bay City, Michigan. This was the second new school for me in a few short years, so I was somewhat nervous at the change. I knew nobody.....I was utterly alone in my new surroundings.....and then I met Andy.

Andy was (and still is) a one of a kind type of guy. I should have known that he was trouble from the start, but hey, I needed friends and he was willing to be one of them-so I took a shot and I am so glad I did! Through these 31+ years, Andy has become my very best friend....a friend I could call at any hour of the day and night and know that after he chided me for calling him at that hour, he would be there to help. Everyone should have a friend like Andy!

Through the years, Andy and I have laughed together, mourned together, and celebrated together as only best friends can. Usually with him telling me how much I 'owe him' for his friendship since 1977. So when I called his home a couple weeks ago and got an invitation to his daughter's birthday party (FROM HIS DAUGHTER NO LESS!), I had to be there.

Some day, I should write some of our stories down, because I am convinced that they would become a New York Times bestseller. Stories like making me dive into his slowly rolling car, then having him stomp on the brakes, causing me to end up under his dash! Yep, he is 'that type of friend'. HAHA

Anyhow, I was glad to make the 2 hour journey to his hometown, just north of Bay City and attend Ashley's celebration. As you can imagine, since I was friends with Andy, I became part of the extended Cabala Family-but that is a story unto itself and I assure you it will be good reading. So we drove up, arriving about 20 minutes ahead of the scheduled 4pm start time and Andy just had to start on me. He began by welcoming me with a smile and a hearty handshake, so I knew something was wrong immediately. Finally, after about 30 seconds, he hollered that he just couldn't do this.....and asked me what I was there for. Yep, that's my friend, Andy!

So, here are some photos from the party. It was great fun and I got to see everyone from the Family and even some folks I hadn't seen since Andy and Deb were married! We greatly enjoyed the time up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for you comment. It may or may not appear shortly after acceptance, or removal.