Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Road to Lord Stanley's Cup is NEVER Easy


Unless you are this little guy (my Son, Josh), the road to the Stanley Cup is a battle. You gotta want it bad! You have to dig deeper than you have ever dug and come up with something totally new. It's not like I have ever played professional hockey, but I'm speaking as a hard core fan of the sport.

Game Three of the Western Conference Finals looked like it was going to be a spanking for the Detroit Red Wings last night, as host team, Chicago Blackhawks schooled them on puck posession-style hockey and fast-paced action. After taking a commanding 3-0 lead into the second period, Chicago let the Wings back into the game and it was tied by the end of the 2nd. That was the story through the end of the third and OT was on the way. As for that, well, it was short lived....less than two minutes in and the Blackhawks skated off with a 4-3 win.

It almost looked as if the Wings traded sweaters with the Blackhawks last night, but I'm not worried....yet! I know my team and they will show up for Game Four on Sunday afternoon.

Now, let's talk about these photos. Back in 2002, the Detroit Red Wings won the Cup. I visited the State Capitol, in Lansing, for an opportunity to see the most recognized trophy in professional sports and what a sight it was! Glimmering in the subdued lighting of the rotunda, directly below its ornately decorated dome, Lord Stanley's Cup was something to behold. Joshua was still about a month from his arrival to our home back then.

When we got into the playoffs last year, this little guy was geeked! He even stayed up, well into the night for that heartbreaking multi-overtime loss to the Penguins, which forced the Wings back to Pittsburgh, where they ultimately won the Cup. And so I promised him that if the Cup came back to Lansing, WE would go see it. And so we did.

Josh and I arrived, with my daughter, Amanda (to take photos) and we stood in a line that stretched from the Cup, down several corridors and outside, around to the front of the building. The 90 minute visit was sure to break many hearts, because as anyone knows, the Cup is always on time. It was a long, hot journey as we wound our way through the line and about 10 minutes shy of having our turn with the Cup, I realized it was not going to happen! Joshua would not get his moment as I had promised. My heart was sinking....but then I had an idea. I would at least get his photo with the Cup in the background. At least he would have seen it, somewhat close up.

I got a few shots, including the consolation shot and 5pm rolled around. Cup Keeper, Bill Wellman stepped forward to dutifully remove the Chalice from its place and head to the next visit. As they began walking towards us, I called to Josh and told him to walk with the Cup....'get over there, bud!', I yelled to him. 'Walk with the Cup!' And he did.

As they neared me, I got shoved to the side by a State Capitol security agent. 'That's my son!', I told him...and he apologized. I reset for what would likely be the last chance to get a photo and Mr. Wellman did something I don't think I will ever forget. He slowed slightly and leaned towards Josh, allowing my little man his moment of glory. *SNAP!* A little boy's dream fulfilled. Mr. Wellman headed off with the Stanley Cup and I took Joshua home, satisfied that he had done something no one else got to do that day....he served (if only for a moment) as an honorary Keeper of the Cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for you comment. It may or may not appear shortly after acceptance, or removal.